My little sister (and maid of honor) moved to Phoenix a little over four years ago and until this weekend I never actually flew in for a visit. The idea of hanging out anywhere in 90 plus degree heat without an ocean view is not something this San Franciscan considers pleasurable. However after four years it looks like she is actually settling down in Phoenix so I figured I better get my butt down there for a visit before she finds a new sister.
To my surprise Phoenix reminded me of a desert version of Temescal due to its hip vibe and well-loved restaurants.
Some of these restaurants include:
- Fair Trade Cafe: Brews up fair trade, organic, great-tasting coffees and espresso while supporting sustainable economic independence and fair trade for communities locally and across the globe.(Read reviews on Yelp)
- Green: Vegan-vegetarian restaurant that masters all your favorite comfort foods. (Read reviews on Yelp)
- Palatte at the Cavness House: Breakfast/Lunch with a French flair served up in a rustic and hip setting. (Read reviews on Yelp)
- Pizzaria Bianco: Gourmet pizza with a two plus hour wait (Read reviews on Yelp)
- Urban Cookies: Made with gourmet organic ingredients including the freshest eggs, European-style butter, whole wheat flour and the finest chocolate and nuts. Orders can be placed via the web and shipped across the US. (Read reviews on Yelp)
So despite temperatures hot enough to fry an egg on a sidewalk I plan on visiting Phoenix regularly; especially November through March when I am less likely to melt.