My dear, sweet, beautiful princess. May you always be as happy as you are today. All my love. Your Mom.
Dove® research shows that, statistically, there is an increased pressure to be physically beautiful and a decrease in girls’ confidence as they grow older. Key findings from the research include:
- Only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful (up from 2% in 2004)
- Only 11% of girls globally are comfortable using the word beautiful to describe themselves
- 72% of girls feel tremendous pressure to be beautiful
- 80% of women agree that every woman has something about her that is beautiful, but do not see their own beauty
- More than half (54%) of women globally agree that, when it comes to how they look, they are their own worst beauty critic
SOURCE: Dove Research: The Real Truth About Beauty: Revisited
What you can do…
Start having conversations with the girls in your life about beauty, confidence, and self-esteem. Not sure where to start? Download The Let’s Talk Toolkit to help get you started.
About Dove’s self-esteem mission…
Dove® is committed to inspiring all women and girls to reach their full potential. The Dove® Movement for Self-Esteem invites all women to join in creating a world where beauty is a source of confidence, not anxiety.
DISCLOSURE: This article is financially supported by Dove. However, all opinions expressed are my own.